These days, I’m sharing those incredibly addictive candy (or spicy) Italian stuffed peppers for your wholesome eating and meal prep satisfaction.
I began with my attempted-and-genuine stuffed pepper base recipe, then gave it an Italian twist. PERFECTION.
Italian flavors and purple bell peppers are a herbal fit. By the time you shower at the fresh basil and a beneficiant handful of Mozzarella and Parm, this might be your favored filled pepper recipe but!
Italian Stuffed Peppers – Healthy Cooking
Before we dive into the recipe, I need to percentage some motives why I don’t forget crammed peppers one of these exceptional aid when you are seeking healthy meals.
- Stuffed peppers are a meal prep dream. You can collect these filled absolutely earlier or prep the filling simplest, some thing works fine for you.
- Italian filled peppers are also short and clean enough to in which in case you haven’t executed any prep in any respect (me, maximum of the time!), you could nevertheless have them on the desk in less than an hour.
- You can scale filled peppers to pretty much any quantity you need.
- They freeze and reheat like a dream. When I labored in an workplace, I frequently packed stuffed peppers for lunch, as they’re smooth to reheat in the microwave (attempt it—your co-employees will be green with envy). These days, I want to bake them early on inside the week, then reheat them within the oven for instant, wholesome dinners.
- Stuffed peppers are healthful. Lean protein, veggies, and whole grains: the group’s all right here! I’m constantly looking for ways to reduce down on time spent prepping substances and washing dishes, so recipes like these real Italian filled peppers that offer every food institution in one are always a prize hit round right here.
How to Make Healthy Italian Stuffed Peppers
The substances for this recipe are simple and scrumptious— of my favourite qualities of Italian-inspired (or let’s be sincere, any) recipe.
- Bell Peppers. I want to search for ones which might be huge and round, as they’re the easiest to stuff. While you can use any color, for this Italian version, red bell peppers are my favourite, as their sweet flavor pairs properly with Italian herbs and cheese.
- How Do You Cut Peppers for Stuffing? Start through washing and drying the peppers. Then, halve your peppers from pinnacle to backside, cutting proper down via the stems. Remove the seeds and membranes. That’s it! You are prepared to stuff.
- Ground Chicken. Italian stuffed peppers with chicken is extremely mild, which means you can flavor it any manner you like! For a distinctive twist, strive using candy or highly spiced Italian turkey sausage (look for either bulk ground sausage or raw sausage in casings; dispose of the meat from the casings previous to cooking). Regular ground turkey works too.
- If you need to make vegetarian Italian filled peppers, you may attempt the use of crumbled tofu in these peppers or switch a can of rinsed and drained white beans.
- Whole Grain of Your Choice. We use cooked brown rice, as I continually have it in my pantry and frequently preserve a field of cooked brown rice in my freezer for clean meals. Cooked farro (an entire grain famous in Italy) could be scrumptious, although it’s now not gluten unfastened like rice, so in reality keep that during mind if making this recipe gluten free is vital to you. I additionally am demise to attempt those Italian crammed peppers with orzo at some point! If you go that path, undercook the orzo a chunk, as there will be some carryover cooking within the oven.
- For a low-carb choice, you can make these Italian stuffed peppers without rice; swap cauliflower rice rather.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes. A pantry staple! These make the internal of the peppers soft and juicy. Look for no-salt-added diced tomatoes so you can manipulate the saltiness of your pepper.
- Italian Seasoning. This herb combo offers you a combination of dried herbs in each pinch. You can discover it in the spice segment of just about any grocery save.
- Red Pepper Flakes. I used a small pinch for flavor, however these Italian stuffed peppers are not hot. If you’d like absolutely spicy Italian stuffed peppers, add additional crimson pepper flakes or use a highly spiced Italian sausage in location of the ground chook.
- Cheese. I advocate a mixture of a gooey, melty cheese like Mozzarella and a sharp, nutty cheese like Parmesan. For a greater multiplied spin, strive swapping the Mozzarella for fontina, smoked Provolone, or a combination.
- Fresh Herbs. I’m all approximately the basil right here. Chopped sparkling thyme or parsley could be fine too.
The Recipe Steps
You won’t consider how clean it is to make this state-of-the-art and flavorful dish!
- Arrange your peppers reduce-side up in a baking dish that’s gently coated with nonstick spray. This recipe will yield eight pepper halves. If all your peppers don’t in shape in a single dish (as you could see from the photos, mine did not), you may bake the relaxation in a separate dish.
- Next, prepare dinner your fowl and spices collectively in a skillet till browned and cooked via. Pour in your can of diced tomatoes and allow simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in your grain of preference and a part of the cheese. Fill every pepper half with the yummy mixture, and pinnacle with greater cheese (yes, please).
- Add simply sufficient water to the baking dish so it covers the bottom (this enables the peppers end up soft), and bake the peppers for 30 to 35 minutes at 375 ranges F. Gooey, melted cheese on pinnacle and soft peppers manner that it’s ready. Sprinkle on clean basil, and DIG IN!
How to Freeze Stuffed Peppers
- Do You Freeze Stuffed Peppers Cooked or Uncooked? I endorse freezing these stuffed peppers when they’ve been cooked. Leftovers could be smooth to reheat and serve for fast, healthful dinners.
- To Freeze. Place the baked Italian stuffed peppers in a freezer-safe box cut facet up inside the freezer for up to a few months.
- To Reheat from Frozen. Let thaw in a single day in the fridge earlier than reheating. Reheat lightly inside the microwave or oven. To microwave, reduce the peppers into some portions first to make sure that they heat calmly. For the oven, region the peppers on in baking dish cut aspect up and heat at 350 tiers F for about 10 mins.
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella – provolone (or a mix)
- ½ cup Parmesan – divided
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes – or up to ½ teaspoon if you like more spicy
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground chicken – or turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can no salt added diced tomatoes – with juices, 15 ounces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice – farro, quinoa, cauliflower rice, or orzo (if using orzo, undercook it slightly)
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 375 stages F. Lightly coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Slice the bell peppers in half of from pinnacle to bottom. Remove the seeds and membranes then arrange reduce side up within the prepared baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a massive, nonstick skillet over medium excessive warmth. Add the bird, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pink pepper flakes. Cook, breaking apart the meat, until the hen is browned and cooked via, approximately four minutes. Drain off any excess liquid, then pour within the can of diced tomatoes and their juices. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir inside the rice (or farro) and ½ cup of the Mozzarella and ¼ cup of the parmesan. Mound the filling interior of the peppers, then top with the closing cheeses.
Pour a bit of water into the pan with the peppers—just enough to slightly cowl the bottom of the pan.
- Bake exposed for 30 to 35 minutes, till the peppers are gentle and the cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil. Serve warm.
Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to a few months. Let thaw in a single day in the fridge. Reheat gently inside the microwave or oven. For easiest reheating, cut the peppers into some portions first in order that they heat evenly.
- Serving Size: 2(pepper halves)
- Calories: 437kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 743mg
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 34g
- Cholesterol: 128mg
Keywords: Italian Stuffed Peppers